Azure Serverless Computing Cookbook: Build and monitor Azure applications hosted on serverless architecture using Azure functions, 3rd Edition
Discover recipes for implementing solutions to real-world business problems through serverless applications
- Test, troubleshoot, and monitor Azure functions to deliver high-quality and reliable cloud-centric applications
- Understand Visual Studio’s integrated developer experience for Azure functions
- Explore best practices for organizing and refactoring code within the Azure functions
This third edition of Azure Serverless Computing Cookbook guides you through the development of a basic back-end web API that performs simple operations, helping you understand how to persist data in Azure Storage services. You’ll cover the integration of Azure Functions with other cloud services, such as notifications (SendGrid and Twilio), Cognitive Services (computer vision), and Logic Apps, to build simple workflow-based applications.
With the help of this book, you’ll be able to leverage Visual Studio tools to develop, build, test, and deploy Azure functions quickly. It also covers a variety of tools and methods for testing the functionality of Azure functions locally in the developer’s workstation and in the cloud environment. Once you’re familiar with the core features, you’ll explore advanced concepts such as durable functions, starting with a “hello world” example, and learn about the scalable bulk upload use case, which uses durable function patterns, function chaining, and fan-out/fan-in.
By the end of this Azure book, you’ll have gained the knowledge and practical experience needed to be able to create and deploy Azure applications on serverless architectures efficiently.
What you will learn
- Implement continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) of Azure functions
- Develop different event-based handlers in a serverless architecture
- Integrate Azure functions with different Azure services to develop enterprise-level applications
- Accelerate your cloud application development using Azure function triggers and bindings
- Automate mundane tasks at various levels, from development to deployment and maintenance
- Develop stateful serverless applications and self-healing jobs using durable functions
Who this book is for
If you are a cloud developer or architect who wants to build cloud-native systems and deploy serverless applications with Azure functions, this book is for you. Prior experience with Microsoft Azure core services will help you to make the most out of this book.
Table of Contents
- Accelerating cloud app development using Azure Functions
- Working with notifications using the SendGrid and Twilio services
- Seamless integration of Azure Functions with Azure Services
- Developing Azure functions using Visual Studio
- Exploring testing tools for Azure functions
- Troubleshooting and monitoring Azure Functions
- Developing reliable serverless applications using durable functions
- Bulk import of data using Azure Durable Functions and Cosmos DB
- Configuring security for Azure Functions
- Implementing best practices for Azure Functions
- Configuring serverless applications in the production environment
- Implementing and deploying continuous integration using Azure DevOps
About the Author
Praveen Kumar Sreeram is an author, Microsoft Certified Trainer, and certified Azure Solutions Architect. He has over 15 years of experience in the field of development, analysis, design, and the delivery of applications of various technologies. His projects range from custom web development using ASP.NET and MVC to building mobile apps using the cross-platform Xamarin technology for domains such as insurance, telecom, and wireless expense management. He has been given the Most Valuable Professional award twice by one of the leading social community websites, CSharpCorner, for his contributions to the Microsoft Azure community through his articles. Praveen is highly focused on learning about technology, and blogs about his learning regularly. You can also follow him on Twitter at @PrawinSreeram. Currently, his focus is on analyzing business problems and providing technical solutions for various projects related to Microsoft Azure and .NET Core.